If you are looking for a way to avoid the chemicals and additives in commercial toothpaste, you might want to try making your own natural toothpaste at home. Natural toothpaste can be just as effective as conventional toothpaste in cleaning your teeth and freshening your breath, and it can also save you money and reduce waste. Here are some simple steps to make your own natural toothpaste using ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.
– 1/4 cup of baking soda
– 1/4 cup of coconut oil
– 2 teaspoons of xylitol or stevia (optional, for sweetness)
– 10-20 drops of peppermint, spearmint, or cinnamon essential oil (optional, for flavor and antibacterial properties)
– A small glass jar with a lid
– In a small bowl, mix the baking soda and the coconut oil until well combined. You may need to melt the coconut oil slightly if it is too hard.
– Add the xylitol or stevia and the essential oil of your choice and mix well.
– Transfer the mixture to the glass jar and store it in a cool and dry place.
– To use, scoop a small amount with a clean spoon or spatula and apply it to your toothbrush. Brush your teeth as usual and rinse well.
Benefits of natural toothpaste:
– Baking soda is a natural abrasive that helps remove plaque and stains from your teeth. It also neutralizes acids in your mouth and prevents bad breath.
– Coconut oil is a natural antimicrobial that helps fight bacteria and fungi that cause tooth decay and gum disease. It also moisturizes your mouth and lips and makes your teeth look shiny.
– Xylitol or stevia are natural sweeteners that do not cause cavities or spike your blood sugar. They also help prevent plaque buildup and inhibit bacterial growth.
– Essential oils add flavor and aroma to your toothpaste and also have antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and analgesic properties. They can help soothe sore gums, prevent infections, and freshen your breath.
Tips and precautions:
– You can adjust the amount of baking soda, coconut oil, xylitol or stevia, and essential oil according to your preference and sensitivity. You can also experiment with different flavors and combinations of essential oils.
– You may experience some tingling or sensitivity when you first use natural toothpaste, especially if you have sensitive teeth or gums. This is normal and should subside after a few days. However, if you experience any irritation, pain, or allergic reaction, stop using the toothpaste immediately and consult your dentist.
– Natural toothpaste does not contain fluoride, which is added to conventional toothpaste to prevent cavities. If you are concerned about fluoride deficiency, you can supplement your diet with fluoride-rich foods such as tea, seafood, spinach, grapes, raisins, etc. or use a fluoride rinse or gel occasionally.
– Natural toothpaste does not have any preservatives or stabilizers, so it may harden or separate over time. To prevent this, store it in a cool and dry place and shake or stir it before each use. You can also add a few drops of vitamin E oil or grapefruit seed extract to extend its shelf life.
– Natural toothpaste is safe to use for adults and children, but make sure they do not swallow it as it may cause stomach upset or diarrhea. Also keep it away from pets as some ingredients may be toxic to them.
Making your own natural toothpaste is easy, fun, and rewarding. You can enjoy the benefits of natural ingredients without compromising your oral health or the environment. Try it today and see the difference for yourself!