Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, is a common household ingredient that has many uses besides baking. It is also a natural remedy for various health problems. Here are some of the health benefits of baking soda and how to use it safely and effectively.
1. Balances pH:
Baking soda is an alkaline substance that can neutralize excess acid in your body and maintain a healthy pH level. This can prevent or relieve acid reflux, heartburn, indigestion, and other digestive problems. To use baking soda for this purpose, dissolve half a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and drink it on an empty stomach.
2. Treats acid reflux:
Acid reflux occurs when stomach acid flows back into the esophagus, causing a burning sensation in the chest. Baking soda can help reduce the acidity of the stomach contents and prevent them from irritating the esophagus. To use baking soda for acid reflux, mix one teaspoon of baking soda with a cup of water and drink it as soon as you feel the symptoms.
3. Soothes heartburn:
Heartburn is a common symptom of acid reflux, but it can also be caused by spicy foods, alcohol, or stress. Baking soda can help soothe the burning sensation in your chest by neutralizing the acid and forming a protective barrier on the lining of your esophagus. To use baking soda for heartburn, mix half a teaspoon of baking soda with half a cup of water and sip it slowly.
4. Reduces inflammation:
Inflammation is a natural response of your immune system to fight infections or injuries, but sometimes it can become chronic and cause pain, swelling, and redness. Baking soda can help reduce inflammation by acting as an anti-inflammatory agent and modulating your immune system. To use baking soda for inflammation, add a quarter teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of water and drink it once or twice a day.
5. Eases ulcer pain:
Ulcers are open sores that develop on the lining of your stomach or duodenum (the first part of your small intestine). They are usually caused by a bacterial infection or the use of certain medications. Ulcers can cause severe pain, nausea, vomiting, and bleeding. Baking soda can help ease ulcer pain by neutralizing the stomach acid and creating a protective layer on the ulcer surface. To use baking soda for ulcers, mix one teaspoon of baking soda with a cup of warm water and drink it before meals.
6. Improves workout ability:
Baking soda can improve your workout ability by enhancing your physical performance and endurance. Baking soda acts as a buffer that can reduce the buildup of lactic acid in your muscles, which causes fatigue and soreness. Baking soda can also increase your oxygen uptake and blood flow, which can boost your energy and stamina. To use baking soda for workout improvement, mix half a teaspoon of baking soda with a glass of water and drink it 30 minutes before exercising.
7. Improves kidney function:
Your kidneys are vital organs that filter your blood and remove waste products and excess fluids from your body. They also regulate your blood pressure, electrolyte balance, and pH level. When your kidneys are damaged or diseased, they cannot function properly and may lead to kidney failure or other complications. Baking soda can help improve kidney function by preventing kidney stones, lowering blood pressure, reducing acidosis (a condition where your blood becomes too acidic), and slowing down the progression of chronic kidney disease (CKD). To use baking soda for kidney health, consult your doctor first and follow their instructions.
8. Reduces gas and bloating:
Gas and bloating are common digestive issues that can cause discomfort and embarrassment. Baking soda is a chemical compound that neutralizes stomach acid and releases carbon dioxide gas. This can help relieve pressure and pain in the stomach and intestines. You can dissolve a teaspoon of it in a glass of water and drink it slowly. You can repeat this up to three times a day, but not more than that. Baking soda is high in sodium and can cause side effects such as increased blood pressure, dehydration, nausea, or vomiting if taken too much or too often.
Baking soda for skin
Baking soda can help exfoliate, cleanse, and soothe your skin in various ways. Here are some of the ways you can use baking soda for your skin:
– To make a gentle scrub, mix one tablespoon of baking soda with a few drops of water to form a paste. Apply it to your face and massage gently in circular motions. Rinse with warm water and pat dry. This can help remove dead skin cells, unclog pores, and brighten your complexion.
– To make a soothing bath, add half a cup of baking soda to your bathtub filled with warm water. Soak for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse with cool water. This can help relieve itching, irritation, and inflammation caused by eczema, psoriasis, sunburn, or insect bites.
– To make a deodorant, mix one-fourth cup of baking soda with 10 drops of your favorite essential oil. Store it in an airtight container and apply a small amount to your underarms with your fingers or a cotton pad. This can help neutralize body odor and prevent bacteria growth.
Baking soda for hair
Baking soda can help cleanse, clarify, and condition your hair in various ways. Here are some of the ways you can use baking soda for your hair:
– To make a clarifying shampoo, mix one tablespoon of baking soda with one cup of water. Use it as you would use your regular shampoo and rinse well. This can help remove buildup from styling products, hard water, or chlorine and restore your hair’s natural shine and volume.
– To make a dry shampoo, sprinkle some baking soda on your scalp and massage it with your fingers. Brush out the excess with a comb or a blow dryer. This can help absorb excess oil and dirt from your scalp and refresh your hair between washes.
– To make a conditioner, mix one tablespoon of baking soda with one cup of apple cider vinegar. Apply it to your hair after shampooing and leave it for a few minutes. Rinse with cold water and style as usual. This can help balance the pH of your hair, smooth the cuticles, and prevent frizz.
Baking soda for teeth
Baking soda can help whiten, polish, and protect your teeth in various ways. Here are some of the ways you can use baking soda for your teeth:
– To make a whitening toothpaste, mix one teaspoon of baking soda with two teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide. Use it as you would use your regular toothpaste and rinse well. This can help remove stains from coffee, tea, wine, or tobacco and brighten your smile.
– To make a mouthwash, dissolve one teaspoon of baking soda in half a cup of water. Swish it around your mouth for a few seconds and spit it out. Repeat as needed. This can help freshen your breath and neutralize acids that cause tooth decay and gum disease.
– To make a plaque remover, dip a damp toothbrush into some baking soda and brush your teeth gently. Rinse with water and repeat once or twice a week. This can help remove plaque from hard-to-reach areas and prevent tartar formation.
As you can see, baking soda is a versatile and inexpensive ingredient that can benefit your health and beauty in many ways. However, you should also be aware of some precautions when using baking soda:
– Do not use baking soda if you have sensitive skin or allergies to any of its components.
– Do not use baking soda too often or too much as it may cause irritation, dryness, or damage to your skin, hair, or teeth.
– Do not use baking soda on open wounds or infected areas as it may worsen the condition or cause infection.
– Baking soda is not suitable for everyone. You should avoid using it if you have high blood pressure, kidney disease, heart disease, or any other medical condition that requires a low-sodium diet. You should also consult your doctor before using it if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or taking any medication.
We hope you enjoyed this blog post and learned something new about baking soda uses for health and beauty. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to share them below. Thank you for reading!