Many people have some gallstones in their gallbladder that are detected during an examination for another condition. They can remain there for life and not cause any health problems. You can attempt some natural home treatments for gallstones, but before trying any of these home remedies, make sure to check with your doctor to make sure they’re safe. Compared to drugs, home remedies are safer but not all home remedies will work for all kinds of gallstones.
1. Lemons, oranges, and other citrus fruits. Some evidence suggests that increasing your calcium and vitamin C intake can help you prevent gallstones. Keep your vitamin C levels high by eating at least one citrus fruit a day.
2. Wine. Drinking half a glass of wine each day may be helpful in reducing your risk of developing gallstones. Researchers found that consuming 1/2 a glass of wine can reduce the amount of gallstone attacks by as much as forty percent. But don’t overload. The research did not discover that consuming more than half of a glass would provide any additional protection.
3. Alternative medicine. A new surgical technique is available to remove Gallstones without excision of gallbladder. This technique is available in China. A regimen called a “gallbladder flush” or “liver flush” is a popular remedy in alternative medicine. In this treatment, often self-administered, the patient drinks four glasses of pure apple juice (not cider) and eats five apples (or applesauce) per day for five days, then fasts briefly, takes magnesium, and then drinks large quantities of lemon juice mixed with olive oil before bed. The next morning, they painlessly pass a number of green and brown pebbles purported to be stones flushed from the biliary system. Apples are a source of pectin, which has been shown to sequester bile and facilitate its elimination in the stool.
4. Turmeric. The main ingredient in Turmeric is curcumin. This ingredient is believed to be antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. It is believed to improve the solubility of bile, making bile and its compounds, including those that form gallstones, easier to dissolve. Studies have shown that a daily dose of turmeric, about half a teaspoon daily, can dissolve as many as 80% of gallstones.
5. Coffee. The caffeine in coffee helps prevent the formation of more gallstones. Studies indicate that drinking a few cups of coffee each day can cut the risk of developing a gallstone by as much as 40 percent.
6. High Fiber Cereal. Soluble fiber helps to control metabolic rate and supports the elimination of cholesterol. Having at least one high fiber meal a day, preferably breakfast, can help prevent the formation of more gallstones.
*These natural remedies for gallstones work best with a proper diet, gradual weight loss, and regular exercise.
*Before breakfast drink a cup of warm water with the juice of half a lemon. This is an excellent way to stimulate bile flow and cleanse the gallbladder. The spice turmeric is also excellent for cleansing the gallbladder.
*Drinking at least 10 glasses of water each day can help you cleanse your organs, removing toxins that can affect the liver.
For more information, see What are gallstones?